Sunday, March 14, 2010

Moon




I went into Moon knowing very little about it, and I think that is the best way to view this hauntingly beautiful film. Sam Rockwell is the only actor, playing the astronaut Sam Bell, who works for the company LUNAR in a time where the moon is planet Earths new source of power. He has been given a three year contract to live in a station on the moon harvesting the energy in complete solitude aside from the company of a robot named GERTY. (voiced by Kevin Spacey). Having left behind a wife and a child, three years is a long time and the loneliness begins to take a toll on Sam.
This is even more information about Moon than I had when I started watching it, and that is the best way to watch it, so I will tell you no more about the plot. Moon was a big hit at the Cannes Film Festival and was honored with eleven awards and fifteen nominations. As far as filmmaking goes it is the definition of minimalist. It lacks impressive effects and only has two sets and relies on Sam Rockwell's heartbreaking performance. I have always been a fan of Sam Rockwell, who is usually more of a character actor. (Galaxy Quest, The Green Mile, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Matchstick Men, Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy). He has a lack of vanity when he performs that is endearing. He has a total willingness to look an inch from death and it adds to his talent. This is without a doubt his finest performance. I was moved, and a little disturbed by how real the character became and how much he let you feel for and with him.
I think it is safe to say that Moon is one of the best science fiction films made in years, and more people should see and know about it. It has elements from classics such as 2001: A Space Odessey and Blade Runner, but it's never a rip-off or a copy. Moon is a highly original eerie, dark and thought-provoking little gem of a film that should not be missed.

2 comments:

  1. I had a man-crush on Rockwell the first time I saw Matchstick Men, and my brother told me this movie was really good. So also hearing your review, I'd definitely check it out. I'd believe it's one of the best Sci-Fi movies in years, considering I can't really even think of another good one I've seen in recent years. I'M INTERESTED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Now I want to see this film.

    ReplyDelete